So it's been almost a year since our last post. So we've been busy. Golly, between reruns of Scrubs and the time it takes to make macaroni and cheese, we've barely got time to sleep and earn a living.
--Fade in--
Valentine's morning. Sleeping. Cell phone on nightstand blinks from 8:59 to 9:00. Eyes open. Bare feet on bamboo floor. Sun peeking past drawn shades. Red curtain. Remembering - Valentine's day. Kiss wife.
Later, ice rink. Stiff leather skates, still warm from previous occupant. Shudder. Slow circles. Lots of people. Little kids with facemasks and rocket-propelled skates. No falls. Zamboni. Just right, like little bear's porrige. Remembering - Valentine's day. Time to eat.
Reading back over the previous two paragraphs, I remember something else. When I was in the monastery in southeast Asia, I vowed never to write anything the might, even loosely, be construed as poetry. Nay, forsooth, and whatnot! Fade out! Blog on!
We went to Whole Foods and bought whole foods and tasted several food parts. Then we went home and cooked and cooked! First, the appetizers... Polenta fritters with gouda inside. How were they? Insert pun here.

Next up, mixed greens with candied walnuts, red-wine-soaked cherries, and a blood orange vinagrette. Who gives a darn about an Oxford comma? Here's Theresa, squeezing blood from an orange.

Here's the whole meal, plated and paired with a lovely Cabernet. Oh yeah, the entree was eggplant parmesean, covered in red sauce and topped with mozzarella and parmigiano and parsely. Not a big deal. OMG so good!!!!!!11one

Finally, dessert - panna cotta with vanilla beans, topped with a fresh blackberry sauce.

Om nom nom nom.

It was the best Valentine's day we've ever had, which I suppose is fitting, since it's been a great year so far. It also helps, I think, that we've recently learned to share a kitchen.
Au Reviere. The redcoats are coming!
No comments:
Post a Comment